Thursday, April 16, 2009

Same Sex Marriage

Governor David Patterson introduced a bill to legalize same-sex marriage in NY today. A similar bill had actually passed the Assembly (controlled by Democrats) in 2007 but never made it past the Senate (controlled by Republicans).

I'm still trying to decide my stance on this issue. I'm having a hard time reconciling my "somewhat" conservative Christian beliefs with my general "live and let live" philosophy on life. I say somewhat because while I have very traditional views on subjects like abortion, marriage, and family life, I go against the Church on a few critical things, namely premarital sex and birth control.

I find myself having this struggle a lot--knowing the Church's doctrine on a particular issue but wanting to buck against the grain a little. On the one hand, I will never say that someone who believes homosexuality is sinful is a bigot or ignorant. The Bible is very clear on that subject. But on the other hand, I have gay, lesbian, and bisexual friends and family members who I love dearly. I want them to be happy and I believe that they have a right to the "pursuit of happiness" along with the rest of humanity. They deserve to put a ring on the finger of someone they love, have that union recognized, and to form families.

Quite the dilemma. My grandmother, whom I loved and admired above all others until her death, was a very loving and accepting person. She was also a devout Christian. She used to reconcile this conflict in herself by telling me that the Bible says that you can love a person but have hate for their sinful acts. This is how God can love us but hate our sin. So she would tell me that while she loved so-and-so gay relative or friend, she abhored their sin (although in my eyes they never would have known she "hated their sin" because she treated everyone so well).

So, in light of this guidance, I think I may have found an acceptable compromise on this matter: my views on this will be similar to my views on abortion. While it's not a choice I would make for myself, I think others have to make their own decisions and given the opportunity, I would uphold their constitutional rights to do so.

Incidentally, I think attempts to actually write anti-same sex marriage provisions into a constitution, whether it be state or federal, are bullshit. Every amendment to the U.S. Constitution has been designed to EXPAND human rights, not take them away (except for #18 but Prohibition is another blog for another day). If anything, a constitutional amendment about gay marriage should be to ban discrimination against same sex married couples.

So, good for Governor Patterson for taking such a political risk--he needed to shake things up with his dismal approval ratings. I can't imagine it won't pass this time--if it didn't, that would be something. Iowa being more liberal than NY? Say it ain't so!

No comments:

Post a Comment